efroymson

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Pergamon

The Pergamon is a rather extraordinary place. I could not quite believe my eyes when I walked into the room where it is kept. The original must have been beyond breathtaking. Definitely worth a visit if you are ever in Berlin. Many of the sculptures are missing important bits, but the power and the expression in the figures was amazing. The museum also has an "Ishtar gate" (something like that) which is glazed brick, and is beautiful. The "dragons" on it have snake heads and bodies, the front legs of lions, the rear legs of birds, and scorpions tails.

In Hamburg now, the train was very quick, and we found a hotel here with no difficulty. I had mistakenly made a reservation in a place that is an hour outside of town ... the internet is still subject to error. At least user error. At least in my case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home