efroymson

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Prado


EPSN1318, originally uploaded by efroymson.

St. Sebastian has always been my favorite. I don't know why, but somehow a man who even peppered with arrows keeps his composure is compelling. Goya's Sebastian is not exactly peppered, but has reason enough for a less sanguine expression than the one here.

There were a number of other great pictures, enough to absorb the best part of yesterday looking at them. Gus was a bit disappointed at first with the pace through the museum, but I reminded him that the Prado was the main reason we came to Madrid in the first place. I think he liked the pictures too, after a while.

We are learning a bit about how to eat here. It is not as bad as China, in that if you order fish here (for example fried sardines) they are not likely to sprinkle bits of pork on it, no matter how much they love pork.

Today we went to the Thyssen-Bornemisza museum, which was not as good as the Prado, not by a long shot. The Prado allows photography, without flash (fine by me as I was using an f1.4 lens) but the T-B does not allow any, so no pix from there. That is not the reason I did not like it so much though.

The reason is that the pictures are not as good. No giant Raphaels, or Bosch or anything. The special exhibit of Corot was also rather disappointing. I have never been much of a fan, and now that feeling is confirmed. Too bland and unambitious.

Did have some fun with a sketchbook though. Gus and I were competing on sketching from the paintings, it was rather fun. Interesting to see how quickly he caught on. His technique seemed to improve when he had a subject he was more interested in also, his best effort was the head of a slavering dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home