efroymson

Sunday, October 25, 2020

Akai Max-49 Gate problem Legato workaround

 I really like my Max-49.  It is a handy keyboard controller, with an extensive Midi implementation, and includes drum pads and several soft sliders.  The arpeggiator is very handy, and most importantly, it includes CV outputs.

The problem I have experienced is if I am not using the arpeggiator, and try to play legato, it will not retrigger the gate output when I play a new key.  The result is that you lose the initial envelope on that new key, and depending on how it is patched, you may eventually find the sound drifting away, i.e. if you are using AD envelopes, which I frequently do, because I like my Wiard Envelators.

The workaround is to use the MIDI out, in my case to the Cwejman S-1 monosynth, which not only has an extensive MIDI capability, but has lovely envelopes with individual outs on the front panel.  The only problem is that I have to use the workstation driving the MIDI interface to create a tunnel between the Max-49 and the S-1, which is easy enough with Midi Patchbay, though it does take a lot of equipment.

If anyone has figured out a way to convince the Max-49 to retrigger the CV gate on every note, I would love to hear about it.  My time spent puzzling over the manual, and paging through the configuration menu did not reveal a solution.

The other "workaround' is just to play staccato, if you wish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home